Pages

Thursday 7 November 2013

What is Family?

What exactly is the meaning of the word - FAMILY?

1. a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not: the traditional family.
b. a social unit consisting of one or more adults together with the children they care for: a single-parent family.
2. the children of one person or one couple collectively: We want a large family.
3. the spouse and children of one person: We're taking the family on vacation next week.
4. any group of persons closely related by blood, as parents, children, uncles, aunts, and cousins: to marry into a socially prominent family.
5. all those persons considered as descendants of a common progenitor.

A friend once told me that FAMILY stands for Father And Mother I Love You. But really, is it really THAT simple? To me, family extends beyond parents and siblings. It's also your immediate relatives, both maternal and paternal side. Why am I bringing this up today you wonder?

Family relationships is very important. In life, one should put God first, Family second, friends and the rest after that. Frankly speaking, if you love God, the rest will fall into place. Family is a very precious thing and one will realize that as they grow up. Even though Family is very important, often than not, it's family members which cause one much sorrow, anger, disappointment etc. I've seen and heard of families falling apart after funerals, over money etc. So how 'important' exactly is this relationship called Family that you share?

The birth of a child marks a new beginning and the death of a person marks the end. Death meant that you'll never get to see that person ever again. My Grandpa passed away some months back and I only got wind of it recently. Yes, I've not been in contact with my family members for more than a decade. I was young, naive and a terrible person back then. Though Grandpa isn't my favorite family member, there's this thing called respect. I visited him in the hospital. Is it too much to ask for to be informed of his death? Frankly speaking, it's perfectly alright if my 'family' doesn't want me around during the funeral but honestly, is informing me so hard? 

There's always lots of stories to every family. Ups and downs, we experience it all but we're talking about death here, something which is forever gone and not coming back. Would it have made any difference had they informed me you wonder? Well, at the very least, I can pay respect by attending his funeral. At least, I wouldn't have to be kept in the dark. At least I don't have to hear it from my brother-in-law. At least I'm aware. You know how stupid I felt back then? Yes, I'm writing this entry 'cos it hurts even though it's Grandpa who passed away, a person I don't share a close bonding with.

Enough's said. I wish to give them all up and do what I need to do i.e. apologize to dear old Daddy but then again, God wouldn't like that. Also, I wonder if that's the best way of handling issues.

I HURT!

Dreamy C

No comments:

Post a Comment