Pages

Monday 17 March 2014

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Pandan Chiffon Cake (Extracted from The Little Teochew)

Ingredients A
7 egg yolks
75 g coconut milk
Concentrated fresh pandan extract
150 g flour
4 g baking powder
75 g sugar
3 g salt
83 ml vegetable oil

Notes:
The Little Teochew used freshly grated coconut & added 1 – 2 tbsps of water and squeezed the coconut milk out. 
As for me, freshly grated coconut looked somewhat unhygienic where I stay. Hence, I went for the Kara brand cream coconut and added some water. I don’t remember how much coconut cream & water I used. My apologies there. I guess just gauge it yourself for now.



As for Fresh Pandan Extract, I do have a pot of Pandan plant so I cut about 20 x leaves and blend it with ½ cup of water. Then, I put it over a sieve and squeeze the juice from the pulp. I left it in the fridge for about 2 – 3 days. I then discard the liquid, leaving only the sediment at the bottom. Now, that’s your Fresh Pandan Extract!

With regards to the measurements of baking powder and salt, it’s so small that I just don’t bother to weigh them. Like The Little Teochew, I reduced the amount of sugar from 95g to 75g.

Ingredients B
7 egg whites
100g sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 160 deg C.

Combine egg yolks, coconut milk and pandan extract in a mixing bowl.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt. (I didn’t bother to sift). Add flour mixture and sugar into the bowl. Add vegetable oil and whisk everything to combine. (Frankly speaking, I didn’t bother. I just dump everything together and whisk away!)

In a separate and clean bowl, beat egg whites and sugar together till it forms soft peak. (This is a long process. I used a hand held electric mixer)

Slowly fold egg white into egg yolk mixture in 3 – 4 additions. (I did this in 2 additions)

Pour cake mixture into an ungreased tube pan. (I just use a round pan, about 8”)

Bake for 45 minutes. (I believe I baked it for 30 odd minutes)

Flip the pan upside down against a bottle on kitchen counter and let cool for 25 – 30 minutes. Loosen side of cake with a knife. (Seriously, I didn’t do this. As I started baking at around 9 p.m., I left mine in the oven)


Well, I’ve not been a good girl and I’ve not followed all the steps as instructed. I guess perhaps one of them is the reason why my cake didn’t turn out fluffy but seriously, after consuming the cake myself, I wouldn’t change it any other way. I’m happy with my imperfect cake! =)


Give it a try and I hope yours turn out well…

Dreamy C

No comments:

Post a Comment