Pages

Sunday 14 December 2014

Homemade Granola Bars

I just placed an order from iHerb and I'm so looking forward to its arrival!
I'm going to embark on a journey of healthy eating.
Why? No, I'm not trying to lose weight. Constipation is the motivation.
For a period of time, I've been going to the toilet once a day.
Recently, I only went once every 3 to 4 days.
My tum tum was bloated up, frustrations set in, discomfort experienced. This is no joke!
Hence, I placed an order from iHerb after watching some YouTube videos on meal prep, healthy eating etc. Coconut Oil is just one of the items I put in my cart. Yogi tea is another one.
I'm a tea drinker and I'm really looking forward to try Yogi tea.
Without further ado, I shall share a recipe on Apricot & Mango Granola Bar!

First, preheat your oven to 170 deg C.
Mix 1/2 cup almond (chopped) and 2 1/2 cups oats (I used instant oats but the recipe actually calls for old fashioned oats).
Bake this dry mixture in the over for 5 mins.
When 5 mins is up, mix it up and bake for another 3 - 5 mins.

For the wet mixture, combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
Put this mixture in a pot over the stove on medium fire.
Keep stirring until everything is dissolved.

When you are done preparing the wet mixture, the dry mixture is no longer hot.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
Combine well.
Then add in whatever dried fruits you want.
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chocolate chip.
For me, I did 1/2 cup dried apricot and 1/2 cup dried mango, all chopped up.
Combine well.

Now, transfer the entire mixture into a pan after using a piece of butter to coat the entire pan 
and press it down, hard.
Once it's nicely spread out, wet your hands (don't have it dripping with water) and press the mixture firmly down onto the pan.

It should look like this!

Next, put it into the fridge (remember to cover it) for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, take it out. Remove it from the pan and cut.

Voila! The end result!

I tasted it and it's really yummy...
Not as sweet as the ones purchased from the supermarket.
Being able to make these myself, I'm really happy as I know what's in my granola bars.
I no longer have to eat store bought ones which are loaded with sugar.

I hope you give this a try. You'll be happier now that you're eating healthier.
Once my parcel from iHerb arrives, I'm going to make a Shredded Coconut & Chocolate Chip version! Yummy...

Have a great Sunday peeps!

Dreamy C

No comments:

Post a Comment