Cholesterol is a lipid (fat) which is produced by the liver. Cholesterol is vital for normal body function. Every cell in our body has cholesterol in its outer layer.
Cholesterol is a waxy steroid and is transported in the blood plasma of all animals. It is the main sterol synthesized by animals - small amounts are also synthesized in plants and fungi. A sterol is a steroid sub-group.
Below is a list of cholesterol levels and how most doctors would categorize them in mg/dl (milligrams/deciliter) and 5mmol/liter (millimoles/liter).
- Desirable - Less than 200 mg/dL
- Bordeline high - 200 to 239 mg/dL
- High - 240 mg/dL and above
- Optimum level: less than 5mmol/liter
- Mildly high cholesterol level: between 5 to 6.4mmol/liter
- Moderately high cholesterol level: between 6.5 to 7.8mmol/liter
- Very high cholesterol level: above 7.8mmol/liter
Dangers of high cholesterol levelsHigh cholesterol levels can cause:
- Atherosclerosis - narrowing of the arteries.
- Higher coronary heart disease risk - an abnormality of the arteries
that supply blood and oxygen to the heart.
- Heart attack - occurs when the supply of blood and oxygen to an area
of heart muscle is blocked, usually by a clot in a coronary artery. This causes
your heart muscle to die.
- Angina - chest pain or discomfort that occurs when your heart muscle
does not get enough blood.
- Other cardiovascular conditions - diseases of the heart and blood
- Stroke and mini-stroke - occurs when a blood clot blocks an artery or vein, interrupting the flow to an area of the brain. Can also occur when a blood vessel breaks. Brain cells begin to die.
So scary... I must admit that I'm affected momentarily. I feel the urge to start exercising. Leaving the office today, I'm feeling very motivated. Reaching the door of my home, I wanted to give it all up and just go in, sit my butt down and have my dinner. Forget about the stationary bike.
I managed to get myself out of my comfort zone and sit my butt down on the stationary bike instead of the dining chair. My accomplishment? 5 mins, 52 calories and 2.7km. I'm going to build it up gradually.
Now comes the fun part. What am I doing now? Typing my entry with many pcs of Hershey's Cookies & Cream chocolate and 2 cups of floral tea. Ha ha...
I wish you a great Tuesday my friend!